HCI Community Spending indicators are a supplemental data set available through a partnership with Claritas, a nationwide market research group specializing in community-level indicators. Each indicator is available at the state, county, zip code, census tract, and rollup (if applicable) level to provide neighborhood-level insights into general spending that may impact health outcomes.
Community Spending indicators are available in two groupings:
Spending-to-Income Indicators: These indicators show the ratio between the average spending among households that spent on the category and the median household income for the region. These indicators help show the potential impact of spending in each category in relation to income. Indicators include:
- Cigarette Spending-to-Income Ratio
- College Tuition Spending-to-Income Ratio
- Day Care Center and Preschool Spending-to-Income Ratio
- Adult Day Care Spending-to-Income Ratio
- Gasoline and Other Fuels Spending-to-Income Ratio
- Health Insurance Spending-to-Income Ratio
- Home Child Care Spending-to-Income Ratio
- Home Renter Spending-to-Income Ratio
- Homeowner Spending-to-Income Ratio
- Student Loan Spending-to-Income Ratio
- Utilities Spending-to-Income Ratio
- Vocational, Technical, and Other School Tuition Spending-to-Income Ratio
Each indicator includes breakouts by the race/ethnicity of the household. Categories include Asian alone, Black alone, White alone, and Hispanic.
Community Spending Indicators: These indicators show the proportion of aggregate household spending on the category as a percentage of total aggregate household spending for the region. These indicators help show how communities allocate household financial resources for each category. Indicators include:
- Community Spending on Education
- Community Spending on Food
- Community Spending on Healthcare
- Community Spending on Housing
- Community Spending on Transportation
In addition to race/ethnicity breakouts, Community Spending indicators include breakouts of the subcategories that make up the indicator (e.g., Community Spending on Housing includes breakouts for Owned Housing and Rented Housing).
For more information on methodology, please view the article HCI Community Spending Indicators Methodology.
The cost for adding these indicators to your Community Dashboard depends on the locales covered on your site. Please ask your Account Manager for further information.